Monday 27 August 2012

GOD CREATED EVERYTHING!

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

I think we take for granted sometimes the truth of this very first sentence of the Bible, instead seeing it as a broad-brushed overview; "...the heavens and the earth." Yeah, okay, that means everything...I get that! This is something we're taught, something we know, but when you break it down and look deeply into that fact, it's a little overwhelming.

Edward Hindson & Edward Dobson write; "God created everything that exists - every molecule - from the smallest single-cell animal to the most complex of His creatures - human beings."

Whoa! That takes it so much deeper than this feeble little mind can fathom!

God created everything...every blade of grass, every burr, every grain of sand, every hair on our heads. He created the clouds and He is the reason they don't fall out of the sky. God is the Artist behind a purple and orange sunset, or a mix of green and salmon leaves on a tree. He is even the reason we just plain don't fall off the ROUND planet we live on!

It's even more overwhelming when I think of the complexity of how things are put together and just how amazing God's attention to detail is. I don't get to see the molecules with my naked eye, but that doesn't mean they're not still there. They are, and God is aware of them, because He created them, along with the intricate makeup and workings of everything. I don't see every day the dust mites that invade my home - and that's probably a good thing, otherwise I might be frightening aware of just how many there are! - but they are there and made up of all their body parts in the right order doing the job they were created to do.

God's got His hand on the existence and workings of it all.

I have a printer and a computer and for the life of me my mind cannot work out how what I have on the screen of my computer can travel down a little cable and come out of my printer onto a sheet of paper. Or how the information from my phone can travel along a USB thingy to my laptop. But God knows all about it and how it works and why it works because He is in control of even that. He put the idea and the formation of that idea into reality into the head of someone and gave them the ability to make it happen.

We talk in general terms about how big God is, but God is bigger than we can even imagine. Louis Gigglio gave a talk a couple of years back at the Hillsong Colour Conference (2008) and he spoke on the universe...God's universe. He used pictures to show how small we really are in comparison to some of the stars and planets out there...our minds really can't fathom the enormity of it, nor can we often understand our place in it. However, to God, our place is right with Him. Not at the end of some long, endless line formed according to size. Not at the back of a crowd gathered according to our importance in the world - phew, coz I'd been soooo far at the back! Our place is right with God as a priority, as a desire, as a target of a deep affection and longing for intimacy.

We can apply this overwhelming knowledge to our lives today by remembering two things;
* Firstly, God created us.
* Secondly, God is on control.

Everything about each of us is how God chose us to be. I remember years ago when the realisation hit me that when I loathe something about myself I am loathing God's creation, and every suggesting that God made a mistake. But He doesn't make mistakes, and amazingly enough, God longs for me....for all of us. He longs for a relationship with us...little 'ole insignificant us. We are being pursued by the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Wow!

And when I find myself in a situation that feels out of control I need to remember God is in control. God's power of creation is over everything, even the little things that go unnoticed by the naked eye. A lesson in that fact for all of us is not to take things - anything for granted. Nothing on this earth just happens to be here....it was all created...

...for a purpose...

...by God!

That includes you, you know!!!

Let's pray...
Mighty Father,
Thank You for showing us that no matter how big or scary the world can seem sometimes, filled with things we don't understand, You are always there to hold our hands through the darkest dark and the most uncertain of uncertainties. With You we are never alone, and we never need feel afraid or abandoned. Father, thank You that even if there are days when nothing seems to make sense, the one thing we can rely on is Your love for us, and Your attention to every detail of our lives, and of this universe. And because of that knowledge, we don't need to worry about anything. In Jesus' Name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment